Re: [Usability] Cross-Desktop UI Pattern Library

Hi Kirk!

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 16:21 -0700, Kirk Bridger wrote:
> The more I've looked at this issue the less I think that simply
> creating YAPL (yet another pattern library) is the solution.

I agree that we should be approaching this problem by asking what it is
we need and want, rather than shoehorning ourselves into a predefined
format. From the discussions that I've participated in, a pattern
library seems to have a number of advantages:

 * dynamism - patterns can be updated individually, new patterns can be
added
 * flat structure - easier to navigate and to use as a quick reference
 * creativity, good design™ - can point to alternative approaches to the
same problem, promote critical thinking towards design issues

Looking back at what we've done so far, there are certainly some things
that we want to cover that would work well as patterns. (Examples that
have come up include guidance on toolbars, editable lists, assistants,
preferences windows.)

That said... I think we should also cover some topics that are more
generic than patterns, eg: handling errors, configuration, layout. A
mixed approach which combines a small number of high level guidelines
(call them what you will) and then a more dynamic set of specific
patterns could be the way forward.

Kirk - in what ways do you see a pattern library as being inappropriate?

> Gnome has
> few unique patterns - or am I wrong there?  That might be a good
> discussion point actually.  And then involve KDE/XFCE/etc.  Are there
> really unique patterns or simply visual implementations of patterns?
>
> It might also be interesting to know more about the decision behind
> changing the format of the HIG to a pattern library - was that
> documented/linked anywhere?  Forgive me if I missed the reference.

I don't think the problem is that GNOME has specific patterns, but that
it has patterns which will be expressed or implemented in particular
ways. We might want to reinforce GNOMEy design values (like simplicity
and a lack of configuration) across the patterns. When writing the
pattern on toolbars, I want to be able to write 'restrict the number of
components placed in a toolbar', for example.

There are also a plethora of issues of detail that are specific to GNOME
(when and where to use symbolic icons, which entries particular menus
should contain, whether buttons should contain text, when to use a dark
theme, how to do notifications). I want to be able to reference those in
each of the patterns.

This isn't to say that I'm against a cross-desktop pattern library, but
I would want to see how such a thing would work for GNOME.

> You say you'll be getting to this imminently - can we somehow coordinate
> a rich discussion?  IRC?  Email?  Wiki?  Time might be my worst enemy
> right now, but I want to move forward with your momentum.

Yes, let's talk this over. Swing by #gnome-design if you can. We could
perhaps have a brief meeting sometime soon.

Best wishes,

Allan
--
Blog: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/