Re: [Usability] [Ayatana] GNOME Main Menu and the Distribution Logo

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 07:36:59 -0600
Stormy Peters <stormy gnome org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Karl Goetz <karl kgoetz id au> wrote:
> >
> > Branding may be very important to distributions, but is it gnomes
> > job to provide ways for different distributions (operating systems
> > even) to brand themselves? Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to
> > advocate gnome making it hard, but if the only reason for something
> > to exist is downstream distros branding I'm not sure I see a reason
> > for gnome to maintain it.
>
> I think we should make it easy for downstream partners to add their
> brand the way we want it added. Otherwise, if there's no room for
> their brand, they may end up doing things that we think impede the
> usability or they may remove our branding if it's the only place to
> insert theirs.

"About gnome" under 'System' is the only place I can see an obvious
gnome reference on my desktop (2.22 provided by Debian). Is there
anything else they can remove? The foot in the corner is what started
this debate after all :)
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)