Re: [Usability] [Ayatana] GNOME Main Menu and the Distribution Logo

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:51:34 +0800
Allan Caeg <allancaeg gmail com> wrote:

> Thanks for the Feedback, Karl.

Thanks for the discussion :)

A healthy dose of "IMO" is applied to all statements below (but I
suspect you all knew that).

> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Karl Goetz <karl kgoetz id au> wrote:
> >
> > > applet. Branding is just that important for a default GNOME setup.
> >
> > Who is branding important to? the desktop? the user? the
> > distributor?
> >
> > Why do you feel its so important?
>

> This is very important for distro marketing. Market share is one of
> the issues that Linux advocates arguably have to address. If it's

Branding may be very important to distributions, but is it gnomes job to
provide ways for different distributions (operating systems even) to
brand themselves? Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to advocate gnome
making it hard, but if the only reason for something to exist is
downstream distros branding I'm not sure I see a reason for gnome to
maintain it.

Downstream can maintain downstream branding infrastructure
if its that important to them that a user is unable to use a computer
without seeing their logo. Remember by default there are: bootloader
splash, bootup splash, login window, and desktop background as places a
distro can brand itself. Thats before we argue over the branding on
top/bottom bar/s. :)

Until recently I was still using the wallpaper shipped with Debian
Etch. Now I'm on the lenny stock wallpaper, thanks to a mistake during a
dist-upgrade. Every time I log in I still get reminded about Debian
[1]. I know a lot of the people I've dealt with using gnome (not all,
not statistically significant numbers, but a lot) left their wallpaper
as distro default.

Gnome is a desktop environment, its there to support me getting my work
done, not to promote someone elses product/project.

> hard to tell at a glance what system is running on a desktop, there
> would be an issue. I don't think that the real estate of desktops is
> that scarce to completely get rid of the branding anywhere on the
> panel.

If its branding with functionality (the apple logo was brought up as an
example of it) then I can see a valid reason for it to be there.

> What are your thoughts?

Hope I've made some sense, and not simply upset people.

[1] Which is kind of amusing, since I run a derivative of it :p

kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au