Re: [Usability] Tab implementation review

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 13:02 -0500, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 12:16 +0000, Allan Day wrote about showing the
> tab bar while only one tab is open:
> > Disadvantages: makes tab functionality less discoverable. Means that
> > it
> > isn't possible to introduce additional functionality to the tab bar.
> > Clicking on empty space in the tab bar could trigger the creation of
> a new tab, for example. Or it might be possible to drag tabs and
> > windows from elsewhere into the tab bar. (Maybe the first step is to
> > decide whether this functionality is desirable?)
>
> I would want to be able to drop tabs from window to another to combine
> them.  Pidgin does this.

I agree that this is an essential feature. One problem with hiding the
tab-bar if only one tab is open, you got no way to merge to windows with
only one tab open. Not sure how to solve that. There should be a handle
to drag even if just one tab is open, it might look different but
something should be there, right?

On the other side... In gnome-terminal having the tab bar always opened
would annoy me also as it takes a lot of space (and looks crappy). But I
think the terminal is a special thing anyway.

Florian