[Usability] Reaching Users

Firstly, I think bugzilla has no place in any discussions of usability. Bugs are absolute, and bug tracking software is designed for people to report, and then developers to fix. Usability issues are largely subtle, subjective and often require some debate. While the bugzilla approach may apply to minor issues 'Why can't I use my scrollwheel here, etc' it is simply unable to handle anything that could be considered innovative or new. It is my belief that bugzilla will never lead to a substantial improvement in software - If you placed Windows 95 on a bugtracker would it fix the fundamental issues with usability, security and stability? Architectural and large ranging issues are simply a bad fit for bug tracking software. It is also intimidating and works in absolutes, while usability doesn't - it's more of a discussion. I would be very hesitant to post anything non-trivial to a bugtracker - it's simply not the place.

Secondly, and ironically, there is no greater divide in the software community between developers and users than in the FOSS community. While most closed source, commercial software has various easy ways for users to give feedback, Linux doesn't.

Barrier 1: The majority of Linux distro's (Ubuntu and Suse to name two) have no place on their forum for discussing ideas or engaging the community - it is all one sided 'support'. There are plenty of forums for discussing how to get your sound card working, but nowhere for discussing a way to make fixing it yourself simpler.

Barrier 2: The lack of any feedback forums above is understandable in context. The main distro's package the upstream apps and release them - they are not directly responsible for problems in Gnome's etc codebase. As a result there is no real way of knowing who made or maintains which program or module to suggest improvements to. Identifying and reporting anything non-trivial is in itself non-trivial. Unless you want to blog about it, there is largely no venue for feedback.

Thirdly, there seems very few systems designed to engage such users at the developer end. As a developer myself there seems to be nowhere to go to discuss such issues. I was hoping that given the 'community contributed' nature there would be pages of free-flowing ideas and discussions, but if there is I can't find it and I am sure neither could the majority of other people. It seems the nexus point for Gnome usability discussions is a near-dead mailinglist.

Windows Vista was pretty rubbish, I am sure there is no debate over this fact. Windows 7 is pretty damn good and a worthy successor to XP, and the reason that it is so good is because the massive backlash of hate and criticism of Vista (by an audiance largely looking to find fault) gave them a massive list of key issues to address. I would place good money on the fact that if Vista was well recieved, 7 would not have been anywhere as good as it is now.

Free software though, as stated above, has no real outlet for users to speak their mind about problems. The community is largely self censoring (as who would complain about free food?) and the people who are not happy with the software largely just go back to Windows/OSX. I always feel that the opinions of 1 unhappy customer is more useful than the opinions of 100 happy ones, but the Linux community in general consists entirely of 'happy ones' - everyone who is unhappy just leaves, rather than sticks around and tries to change things.

Before any real progress can be made on usability and improving the marketshare of Gnome (and Linux as a result) these issues should largely be addressed. Users need a place to say why they don't like something without being called idiots or trolls. There is very little point in having a community contributed OS that the community cannot contribute to. Most users can contribute ideas after all, but few can contribute code - which seems to be the sole focus.

Flame away!