Re: [Usability] New Menubars

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
Anton, everyone,

I really like the new menubars idea. Definitely worth exploring some
more.

Sure! Some animated mockups will do a good job but unfortunately there is no such software in for Linux that I'm aware of.

Anton - if you're thinking about how you might go about embedding a CLI
in the menubar, it might be worth considering the Cimi's ideas [1] about
Do-ifying GTK 3.0. It would be exciting to see a convergence of your
ideas and theirs (at the very least, for the sake of consistency across
the desktop).

Allan

[1] http://www.cimitan.com/blog/2009/01/31/do-ifying-gtk-30/

Gome-DO is a good thing but IMO they have bloated it too much with all kinds of useless plug-ins (of course you can turn them off). What is good about do is that when you type it learns what you want the end result to be and autocomplets it - that is something that is worth intgerating in the new menu system. On the other hand I have to say that the system is not so much like do because:
- you have a box that assits you request a group of commands and lay out them in the menubar area (the way the items are shown is topic that should be thought on a lot)
- help you execute commands but that would not be the primary goal of this interface because you cannot learn so many specific words and if you do you will forget them easily when you don't use the system for a while.
- you cannot execute other programs from a certain application.

It should ceratinly be more discussion about integrating the whole thing together with other CLI's or the global one in the overlay of gnome-shell.

--
A.K.