Re: [Usability] New Menubars

Hi Anton,

> I'm Anton Kerezov and I had an idea about the menubars I posted to Gnome
> Themes list but was redirected here. So this picture says it almost all:
> <snip>
Can you tell me what the purpose of this feature is? i.e. what are you
trying to improve?

For example, reduce clutter, or bring some of the "deeply hidden"
items to the surface with a few keystrokes?

If the objectives are clearly defined it is easier to analyze the
proposal.

So far I have some questions:
0. for which users category (by skill level) is this feature created?
1. what about nested menus, will they appear as a drop-down list or do
   you plan them to be "flattened" onto the menu area?
2. do you think it is acceptable to use ALT as a trigger to set the
   focus to the input window?

   Today we press Alt+<letter> to access a particular menu entry, so
   why not make it Alt+<first N letters> to naturally extend the
   existing method?

   It will be in conflict with the fact that for some menu entries the
   Alt+<letter> key is not always the first letter of the menu item.

   Also, not to say that Vista is a perfect example to follow, but in
   there they hide menus by default and Alt shows/hides it - in other
   words the choice of Alt will be quite consistent with the other
   environments.

Alex