Re: [Usability] Usability and I

Hi,

I need to start with apologies, this will not be any sort of a definite answer and depending on the situation may be outright dumb post. However, I've gone through a project or two so I might just as well post something to think about. What I put here is some basic stuff that seems to always come up in the beginning. Later on one may (and should) start to break rules.

Usability engineering and user-centered design is often broken into steps such as following by UPA*:

1. Specify the context of use
2. Specify requirements
3. Create design solutions
4. Evaluate designs
5. Goto 1 till you get results that satisfy your goals.

Now, all that fine and dandy stuff aside, we get to more of matters of opinion and personal experience how the steps work out.

In initial states of a project I've noticed it's not as much creating information as it is observing and gathering how the people and the world functions today. One may have a set task, such as "create a better accounting system for us" in which case the context of use is more clear. On some instances, you have to initially imagine these things. If such is the case, it might be a good idea to somehow evaluate if what you plan to do makes any sense at all. And this can be notoriously difficult to decide.

In any case, once you've established what it is that you do and approximately to whom, you start to decide what the system should exactly do. Say, you want to create an image gallery (what you want); it should at least browse images, import and export them (requirements). The detail of requirements depends on the project, team, workflow and the position of the moon and the stars. And if your grandma has pink socks and wind blows from east. Again, it might be good idea to evaluate if your requirements are about the correct ones.

Then you create the design solutions and implement them to sufficient level. The level, yet again, depends. I personally prefer quick and dirty wireframes for sanity check, Photoshop for (near) pixel perfect mock-ups and assistive Flash animation where interaction is needed. It depends on the project, but for me it's been that it is better to screw up fast so more effort (and thusly detail) is used in the beginning of the project to ensure it's not facing show stoppers. This can mean highly interactive demos with minimal effort just to prototype stuff. Fake and cheat all you can to make it a fast process. Better to kill the project early than to try to stick with something that will not work in the end and thusly wastes peoples time and money. So again, it's nice to evaluate what you can along the way.

At some point you have complete enough thing that you can evaluate. Since people who succeed at once are very rare if they even exist, you end up with feedback and results about what went wrong or was at least imperfect. You can (and probably should) use both qualitative and quantitative tests. Just measuring is, imho, not really worth much but when combined with qualitative data it has its benefits. One also gains more information based on which it may be reasonably to evaluate if your estimates in first step were the correct ones. And the cycle repeats itself till you fulfill the criteria set for the project. This iteration is paramount as many things that depend on each other.

Now, the above may sound messy, but it is even messier than what it might seem. In a way it is a game of imperfect information - you simply don't have all the information you need when you need it. You may test and measure wrong things on wrong people. There may be technological obstacles or suddenly emerging enablers. Sometimes there are sudden changes in the landscape on which your thing operates. At times reports and documentations fail to deliver the most important findings from user test.

To mess up things more, things change again once you step outside usability and start to consider some buzz-words such as user experience. For the design it is important to understand that usability is just a part of a value proposition, and its weight... depends.

The above is in great length just an opinion, though, so don't take that too seriously. People do stuff in many ways, and different things work for different individuals, groups and situations. I guess "doing suability" can be considered just as an evaluations, but at some point the rubber needs to hit the road for anything to get done.

Best regards,

Janne Kaasalainen

* http://www.upassoc.org/usability_resources/about_usability/what_is_ucd.html

For my understanding I'll try to summarize the general steps needed to
"do usability". Please correct me with everything I got wrong:

1. creating information
2. categorizing / collecting the information
3. evaluating the information
(4. implementing it)