[Usability] Usability and I

Hi there everyone,

its my first post here so I dont got a recognized "name" here (nor
anywhere else i guess, but that's not the point). As someone noted
before everyone starts as an anonymous - but not completely anonymous,
so: My real name is - as written in the From-Header - Florian Ludwig,
I'm studying computer science in northern Germany and if you search the
internet for me you might find some stuff I wrote on some mailings lists
but nothing on this list nor I wrote much on another gnome mailing list
and I never did any gnome related work.
	I'm not a designer - just a user who cares about his everyday desktop
and is interested in where this desktop is going. So I'm here :)

	I hope to be able to provide useful thoughts and help out here and
there but I'm one (of this minority it seems) of those who are not
employed to do so. Also I'm right now not sure how much of my spare time
I can spent on this... Maybe I will be one of those introducing
themselves and disappearing afterward without a trace, but lets not hope
so.

For my understanding I'll try to summarize the general steps needed to
"do usability". Please correct me with everything I got wrong:

1. creating information
2. categorizing / collecting the information
3. evaluating the information
(4. implementing it)

1. Creating Information
There are lots of sources already out there, sources that created for
gnome, like betterdesktop.org. There are places / third-parties
collecting user information that wasn't created for GNOME usability
related tasks but may be helpful, like brainstorm.ubuntu.com. But also
there are not centrelied sources like this one:
[0]
http://contentconsumer.com/2008/04/27/is-ubuntu-useable-enough-for-my-girlfriend/

2. categorizing / collecting the information
As you might be interested in "how thing people about X" you have to
collect and filter the information from the different sources and bring
them to a more similar shape. If the data is just collected for your
research, like for the betterdesktop.org people, you probably dont need
this one.

3. evaluating the information
While nearly everyone can help with the first to tasks for this you need
smart, skilled and educated people. So there are rare people doing this.
Getting the conclusions out of your head into exact, well written,
understandable words might also be a task that sounds easier than it is.

4. implementing it
Maybe not in scope of this mailing list but the work should not be
unrecognized and should have some effect ;)

As in (nearly) every project there are not enough people. Especially
non-programmers are rare. But I think programmers and everyone also too
can help out with the first to steps and put less work (and more
motivation) on those doing the evaluating.

One example of the ideas that pop up in my mind:

I think you don't really need a mobile lab to do interviews /
user-testing. I imagine a ready-to-user live cd (or vm image), you just
put onto a random computer and sit someone matching some predefined
conditions in front of it. Now the user gets some task to archive while
the screen, all input devices, sound and maybe the users picture is
recorded. Also between the tasks there should be some easy to evaluate
questions (like "on a scalar between 0 (very hard) and 9 (very easy),
how easy was it to....") The interviews can be done everywhere but
should be collected in one central point in the end and be easily
accessible to everyone interested.

Thats something programmers - that are not so rare - can help with
putting together, right? Having information like exact mouse path is
nice to put some statistics together but do you think it would be
actually helpful? Would the effort be worth it at all?

Implementing something like silverbackapp (which would be really good to
have on such a live-system) is a task you need programmers for and might
helpful for everyone doing interviews. There are already other ways to
do it with programs that are out there but I think it could be worse the
effort having an easier workflow doing interviews and more raw-data
(like mouse movement, keystrokes, ...). Such a project might attract
some people participating here (programmers and non-programmers).

This is just *one* idea what a usability-project could look like IMHO. I
just think a project with different small tasks and an call for help
might help involving more people.

I myself will continue to study usability (meaning reading what i find)
and hope to be useful in the future.

Greetings,
Florian Ludwig