Re: [Usability] Navigating the Main Application Menu using the keyboard

My guess is that this is simply a reflection of a common issue with keyboard accelerators: sometimes the menu has more than 1 word starting with the same letter.

In this case, if 'P' went to programming, how would someone get to the top-level "Places" without using the cursor keys?  I'm sure Programming has some letter accelerator, but P isn't it.  Making Places the P destination makes sense as it is the top level menu and your scenario was right after opening the menu.

The same thing happens with the 's' - it opens System rather than Sound...

The solution might be to indicate somehow what the accelerator key is in the menu, but the behavior makes sense to me in some ways.  I've just opened the menu and the accelerators take me to the top level menu items.

It sounds like a design decision that made the best of a bad situation as the designer saw it.

Kirk

Mathias Dahl wrote:
"Michael Chang" <thenewme91 gmail com> writes:

Have you considered asking a Question using the "Launchpad Answers" system?

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/

I did not know about that site. However, it seems to be for "Q and A"
rather than design issues like the one I am talking about. Thanks for
the pointer though, I might post there anyway.

/Mathias