[Usability] Navigating the Main Application Menu using the keyboard

Hi,

I find keyboard navigation of the main application menu a bit
confusing. After opening it with Alt+F1 and typing `p' it is not the
Programming sub menu that opens, as I would have guessed. Instead it is
the Places top menu (on my system the one to the right of the
Applications menu). When the Places menu is opened focus is given to the
top menu item there and I can type other keys to activate sub menus. The
same goes for the System top menu.

I found this illogical. Shouldn't the focus be at the top item of the
Applications manual when I activate it? If not, why, and how am I
supposed to activate menu items under it without using the cursor keys?

Forgive me if this is the wrong list for this and please direct me to
the appropriate one if so.

Thanks!

/Mathias

PS. I should mention that I am running this under Ubuntu 7.10.