Re: [Usability] suggestions to ameliorate the ergonomics of totem

Hello Diego,

Op dinsdag 12-08-2008 om 15:45 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Diego Moya:

> In that case it's no longer 1 click, is 1 drag! Substantially more
> complex and error prone, for what should be a simple task.

Using the scroll wheel over the volume control works as well.

> If you have to drag the slider, it has a big problem that you force
> the volume to be through all the intermediate states. This has the
> potential of setting a temporary peak in the volume that can hurt
> users ears (I know it because I've suffered it), which is a major
> usability problem, not just an annoyance.

I don't understand this argument. Either you're lowering the volume and
the intermediate state doesn't ever get louder; or you're intentionally
increasing the volume, in which case the intermediate state can never be
louder than the desired volume.

> Also the hidden volume slider has the problem of  not providing
> feedback of what the current volume is, until you begin to interact
> with it.

Not true; the volume indicator shows zero, one, two, or three "loudness
curves" depending on the current setting.

> would someone want to NOT know the current volume percentage,
> especially when inside a movie player?

Are you serious? Volume percentage values are rather meaningless. Or do
you have such exact hearing that you can discern between more than
rather descriptive values like "silent", "whispering", "conversation",
"loud", and "painfully loud"?

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen