Re: [Usability] Options, Check, Toggle, Exclusive

On 5/14/07, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_ freenet de> wrote:
On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 08:36:31PM +0200, Amaury Chamayou wrote:
> To answer your questions and Matthew's one, I have done a small animated gif
> (sorry, I don't have flash or anything fancy) :
> http://friendsofmine.fr/slide.gif

Cute :)

Thanks

I think it does help to convey the idea of mutually exclusion.

However, personally, I would turn off such an animation if given
the option. Like I had to disable menu animations on windows, as
I felt they slowed me down.

Well, so would I. I went back to metacity when I realized I had turned the duration of all beryl effects to 0 second because I had a general feeling of slowness otherwise (especially the desktop cube, fading menus etc). But I think this kind of animation is not aimed at speed-clicking-keyboard-shortcut-nervous kind of people like me :), but rather at people who have little experience or knowledge of computing, and expect the interface to be obvious and self-explanatory. I guess there could be a centralized place for semi-advance people (ie : those who don't want to touch gconf) like the new appearance capplet where you could disable animations.
Before I accidentally used a gmail shortcut, I wanted to say that I was trying to express Alan's idea. Is it something like this ? If not, could you correct me ? :
http://friendsofmine.fr/radio.png
From what I understand, you would like the entire choices to be higlighted rather than just the radio buttons ?

Amaury