Re: [Usability] Open Files - Search

On May 10, 2007, at 6:01 AM, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 05:56:12PM +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
I agree (although it needn't make things harder either); I just
suggested it because our file dialog is too cluttered already to allow a permanent, separate search box like OSX has.

Cluttered ... I thought about removing the Places header, but it shows the P mnemonic. I wanted to (again) remove the Add and Delete buttons, but they too show mnemonis ... But now I wonder: How about not showing the Add/Delete buttons initially. Show Delete if a Places item is selected, show Add if a folder is selected?

I think the whole Places shebang is taking up more room than it deserves, and that it should become a menubutton.

The results do belong to different categories and the user should not be left wondering why something is in the results. There could be files with the same name, but from different folders. What would you do in the last case, with OSX?

I don't know what OS X does for that, but if it was an important problem, you could add a column to the results showing the folder that each result was found in.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/