Re: [Usability] Open Files - Search

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 03:41:14PM +0100, Calum Benson wrote:

> > http://thorwil.wordpress.com/2007/05/09/gtk-open-files-search/
>
> Hmm, looks quite powerful, but quite complex too.  I'd be quite happy
> with something simpler, like OSX:
>
>         - Add a "search" toggle button beside the current "location"
>         toggle button
>
>         - When search button is selected, show a text field, like the
>         location text field
>
>         - User types search terms in text field; all matching files
>         below the current level are shown in the list on the right hand
>         side.  (List on left-hand side could be greyed-out or something
>         at this point.)
>
>         - Click the search button again to hide the text field and
>         search results.
>
> If you did this, you'd probably want to arrange it so that search and
> location fields couldn't both be shown at the same time, would keep
> things simpler and neater.

Adding modality doesn't make things simpler. The look could surely be
improved, though.

I see it as an advantage of my proposal that there are no toggle buttons.
The user immediately gets to see all there is and has not to guess or try
what hides behind some button.

Also one has not to pay attention what the mode is, as it's always the
same. I know the location entry got in my way a few times when I didn't
expect it to be on.

Thanks for the comment.

--
Thorsten Wilms