Re: [Usability] Open Files - Search

On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 02:33:21AM +1200, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> > http://thorwil.wordpress.com/2007/05/09/gtk-open-files-search/
>
> I agree with the idea of having a search field that is more obvious and
> less awkward than a Place. But even after reading the proposal twice,
> I'm still not sure where your search field *is*, so I'm not sure that
> this is an improvement. :-)

Search field, location and path-bar are one. No toggling, no having
to focus.
Want to search? just type.
Want to go one level up? Just hit backspace or enter ../.
Want to enter an aboslute path? Just start with /
Want to use only the arrow keys for navigation? Just use them.
Nothing of this gets in the way if you want to navigate by mouse
only.

> Would entering text in the location field
> perform a search?

In the one existing entry yes.

> If so, would that prevent people from using the Up
> and Down keys in auto-completion?

First down key would select the firts item of the list view,
then you could move up/down there.

> What would happen if there was a partial match in the current folder,
> but an exact match inside a subfolder?

I think all matches for the current folder should be listed before
any sub-folder hits. There could be an extra rule to list exact
matches first, though. Maybe with relative path in front, instead
of having headers.

> I agree with Calum that search should be a separate field, because I
> think it wouldn't be obvious otherwise. But I disagree that this field
> should be hidden until a button is clicked, for much the same reason.

Obvious? Just type anything and you would see it in action.

> By the way, if that mockup is based on a real application's Open
> dialog, please report a bug that the dialog's title shouldn't end in

Gedit. So, you read it twice, eh ;)

Can somone with Gnome 2.18 please check if Gedit still uses
"Open Files ..." as window title?

--
Thorsten Wilms

Thorwil's Design for Free Software: