[Usability] How do I get my media volumes out of my computer?

Hello there!

There are quite some bug reports in Bugzilla that revolve around the
question "How do I get my media volumes out of my computer?". There
are some bug reports that suggest using a MacOS approach (dragging the
volume icon into the trash bin, like bug #106071), other bug reports
seem to prefer a more Microsoft Windowish way with an icon in the
notification panel. There are also suggestions of using "Eject" icons
in the "Locations" menu and/or the shortcut list of Nautilus and the
gtk+ file selector (I think Banshee uses something like that?). I'm
quite sure that there are some other suggestions I didn't find yet,
but these three suggestions seem to be the  most common ones.

I created a meta-bug (#418197) that doesn't suggest a specific
approach but defines the problem in general:

a) There is no way to eject a media volume that doesn't use the context menu.

b) The notification appearing after an unsafe volume removal refers to
the context menu

c) The context menu is, however, considered to be an advanced user
feature by the HIG.

Since the task "Eject a media volume" seems to be a rather common one,
the use of the context menu doesn't seem adequate to me.

Can the usability team suggest a possible solution for that problem?
Which approach would be the most feasible?

Thanks and so long,
Raphael