Re: [Usability] Moving the HIG

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 11:11 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:

> Another thing I'm trying to figure out is what to do
> about bugzilla.  It kind of sucks not having bugzilla
> match the SVN modules and released tarballs.  But you
> guys are making good use of components under the HIG,
> and you'd lose that if the HIG were just a component
> of gnome-devel-docs.  I wish bugzilla's categorization
> were more flexible than a strict two-level thing.

True.  Don't have any inspiring suggestions there, I'm afraid, other
than some regimented use of keywords or whiteboard fields.  Or rolling
up the namespace into the component names-- "HIG-Menus", "HIG-Dialogs"
etc., which is probably the grossest of the lot :)

> Sometimes, though, we make branches for long-term
> unstable development work.  See, for instance, the
> yelp-document branch of Yelp.  It's a retooling of
> the internal API in Yelp, and it's taken a while
> to come to fruition.  If we had done that work on
> trunk, we would have effectively blocked releases.
>
> So what I meant was, if you've got some massive
> ongoing changes to the HIG that won't be completed
> by the 2.20.0 release date (tentatively September 5),
> then you should feel free to make a branch for that
> work, so that trunk is releasable on time.

Gotcha.  A branch probably does make sense for the "next gen" HIG that
I'm always threatening to maybe think about, when I possibly have time,
maybe.

Cheeri,
Calum.