Re: [Usability] Gnome HIG suggestion: search box clear buttons

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 08:41 -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 11:27 +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-06-02 at 10:59 +0100, Phil Bull wrote:
> >
> > > Evolution has a similar control [1]. Rather than having a red 'close'
> > > button appear, it has a greyed-out 'clear' icon, permanently to the
> > > right of the text entry. When you type something into the text entry, it
> > > becomes sensitive/colourful.
> >
> > Unfortunately, it also takes on the colour of focused+selected text,
> > which means it looks like the text field is focused even when it
> > isn't :/  Not a mistake we want to repeat elsewhere.
>
> Actually it goes blue - if this is the colour of selected text for
> you, that's a coincidence based on your theme as far as I can tell.

Perhaps, although blue is the selection colour in the default theme we
ship, and in many others too no doubt.

Regardless of that, it shouldn't just be "going blue" anyway... it
should be choosing a suitable colour from my theme.  Unfortunately, most
themes don't have a wealth of complementary colours to choose from...

(ISTR suggesting long ago that it would be useful for themes to be able
to specify two or three extra "highlight" colours, also useful for
occasions where things like graphs or diagrams need to be presented in a
themed fashion.)

Cheeri,
Calum.