Re: [Usability] Gnome HIG suggestion: search box clear buttons

On Jun 2, 2007, at 12:52 PM, Alan Horkan wrote:

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007, Caleb Marcus wrote:
I'd like to suggest that the GNOME HIG recommend including clear
buttons next to search boxes that change the current view. I've
attached a screenshot of an example of one of these, from Mozilla
Thunderbird. When the user starts typing in the find-as-you-type box,
the red "X" button appears in the right side of the search box. When
clicked, it clears the text in the search box and resets the view back
to normal.
I'm not sure I see a compelling reason to provide an alternative to
backspace/delete for ordinary users.

Because for many if not most search fields, people frequently want to clear the contents -- either to enter a new search, or to return a list to its unfiltered state. That is true much less often for text fields that aren't search fields (the most prominent exception being a Web browser's address field).

The issue of special-casing search fields has also recently come up in the design of HTML 5. <http://urlx.org/lists.whatwg.org/3711a>

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas