Re: [Usability] Gnome HIG suggestion: search box clear buttons

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007, Caleb Marcus wrote:

> Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 20:38:14 -0400
> From: Caleb Marcus <caleb marcus gmail com>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] Gnome HIG suggestion: search box clear buttons

> I'd like to suggest that the GNOME HIG recommend including clear
> buttons next to search boxes that change the current view. I've
> attached a screenshot of an example of one of these, from Mozilla
> Thunderbird. When the user starts typing in the find-as-you-type box,
> the red "X" button appears in the right side of the search box. When
> clicked, it clears the text in the search box and resets the view back
> to normal.

If we were to take this suggestion on an implementation would really
help get GTK developers to actually use it.

Dynamically moving or removing elements of the user interface is
unpredictible and creates issues in terms of accessibility.

For advanced users there is already a shortcut already provided to quickly
clear a line in a search box, if I recall correctly it is Control A (or
possibly Control K.  I cannot say for sure, I don't do Emacs.)

I'm not sure I see a compelling reason to provide an alternative to
backspace/delete for ordinary users.

--
Alan