Re: [Usability] Gnome HIG suggestion: search box clear buttons

On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 13:10 +0200, Raphael Bosshard wrote:

> > Is there a plan for doing this, or did that email just constitute
> it? :)
>
> I don't think there is a plan for doing this. At least I didn't find
> anything in the mailing list.
>
> Suggestions:
>
> name                  purpose
> ERROR                 user input error (e.g. wrong format , security
> error)
> WARNING               something is amiss, (e.g. expired certificate)
> ALL_CORRECT           no problems detected
> ATTENTION             request special attention (e.g. search active)
>
> What else is there?

One fairly common one might be 'secondary highlight'... i.e. the
background and foreground colour of text, list items etc. that are
highlighted, but not in the focused window.  It's been a while since I
looked at gtk themes, though, so maybe there's already a style or a
convention for that.

The other category I can think of would be apps that want to display
information in a simple coloured chart or diagram... imagine if we could
have a themed version of Baobab's ring chart for high contrast theme
users :)  Admittedly that's probably a bit of an extreme example; a
simpler one would be the little diagram that used to show the page
orientation and margins in the Print dialog.  We went to some effort to
make that themeable and look good in as many themes as possible
(including the high/low contrast ones)... looks like it's not used any
more, though.

Cheeri,
Calum.