Re: [Usability] Gnome HIG suggestion: search box clear buttons

What is the intent of the user?  What are the goals or tasks here?

In no particular order (as I see them):

1 - edit existing search text
This should be done by simply pointing and clicking with the mouse so that the cursor appears within the existing text somewhere.  If the user wants to highlight multiple characters, a single click and drag allows it.

2 - clear field and search for a new string
Best done by a single click to clear and put the search field in focus - just like these buttons allow you to do.

3 - clear any search filter on the view
Best done with a single click, just like these buttons do.  If there is a live filter on a list such that it updates as you type, it would be of great use to have a single button to clear it all - a reset as it were.

4 - start a search
The field is empty and the clear item does not appear active until there is something to clear.  Its context-sensitive and direct manipulation all wrapped in one!.

I don't see a compelling reason not to include them.

I also strongly suggest that pre-selecting all the text in the field upon a single click would be a step backwards.  If I want to delete I'd be able to do it with a single click if there's a clear item button - an improvement over a click/keypress or click/rightclick/select of pre-selecting.  The other pet peeve I have about pre-selecting the whole thing upon a single click is how do I edit the field?  I'd need two clicks.  How do I select part of the field?  2 clicks and a drag.  I think Firefox used to do the pre-select in the URL field and I always found it difficult to use.  Or is it IE that currently does this?

Pre-selecting makes editing the field a very difficult task.  Yes it makes deleting it easy.  But that is also accomplished by the clear button.

I think the clear button is the way to go, though perhaps someone can point out a downside here?  I haven't seen one yet.

Kirk