Re: [Usability] File Dialog Add/Remove Places Mockup

Thanks for pointing out, that my mail didn't get through, Thorsten.

Here it is again, along with my comments to Thorsten's reply:

> If you just say there might be a problem with expectations, ok.
> But to say buttons on screen are not discoverable ...?
>
> I'd say, if something sets the right expectations, you might call
> that intuitive. Discoverable to me means that functionality can be
> found and how easy that is. While always present buttons would
> score higher, I can't accept a claim it's zero here.

Ok, when I said it wasn't discoverable, I didn't mean, it wasn't
discoverable at all, just that is so doesn't meet my expectations...
Maybe we can just put a button on the right side of the name tag? A
bookmark icon, and when you select an item in the places menu a trash
can to the right side of the name of the places?

Whatever, I created two mock-ups. Including the places header :)

They can be found at
http://home.tu-clausthal.de/~dcb/linux/mockup1.png
http://home.tu-clausthal.de/~dcb/linux/mockup2.png

> Buttons on the right side were my initial idea. That only
> works with enough free space there, something we don't have
> control of. That's why I moved them to cover the folder icons,
> as that's a fixed size.

Hmm, folder usually don't have that long names, and if they do, we can
use
ellipsis, can't we?

> Icons/buttons on the headers is not a bad idea.
> Perhaps Add should be on Name above the file list,
> though.

Hmm yes, that might be a good option as well.

> I see you added the Places header higher, resulting
> in a shorted path-bar. There has been terrible long
> discussions on a bug report. One of the results is
> the full width path-bar to avoid paths getting cut off
> / having to use the < and > buttons to move along the
> path. The mapping is better (path-bar to file list,
> not places), but I doubt the path-bar will be made
> narrower just after it was widened ;)

Ehm, I just didn't think about it... I did what was easiest to mock
up :)

David