Re: [Usability] Three dialog problems

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 21:48 +0100, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> For some reason the Apple guys seem to see no problem in relying on
> drag and drop.

Apple's target audience isn't Windows users. It's Mac users. Sure,
they've gotten a few Windows users to switch over.

One thing that has come up in usability testing in the Novell Cambridge,
MA office, is that the end users who we ended up testing that were Mac
users, did Drag & Drop, while those that were Windows users, did Right
Click.

Both of them are originally designed to be "advanced" user actions, to
speed up the flow of interaction. However, given that almost all users
do them now, trying to call them advanced, and pushing to avoid them,
is probably not the best interest to have. Why isn't there a check box
outside the right-click menu to show hidden files? :)

I think perhaps a different UI entirely for the save/open dialogs is the
best solution, but we are stuck with what we have for now.

-- dobey