Re: [Usability] =?utf-8?q?desktop_lacks_=22Display_properties=22_or_?= =?utf-8?q?=22_=09Screensaver=09-_Power=22_options_on_right-click_c?= =?utf-8?q?ontext_menu?=

On Monday 23 April 2007 10:15:57 am Curtis Hovey wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 09:25 -0400, Jacob Beauregard wrote:

> > > I have to prove that the majority of users don't have the desire to
> > > change the resolution of their screen sufficiently frequently to
> > > justify a desktop context menu item explicitly to change resolution?
> > > I've yet to hear a decent reason *for* it.  Why would someone want to
> > > change resolution so frequently that they'd need rapid access for it?
> > > And why would the xrandr-applet not suffice in this case?

> > > Yes, that is true.
> > >
> > > Burying functionality isn't an issue for the Scripts menu, as the user
> > > has to put stuff in there.  The choices were a) submenu or b)
> > > potentially huge desktop context menu.  I think the right choice was
> > > made.
> >
> > In the context you speak of, it's great the way it is. It's great for the
> > default, too, but giving people the ability to directly modify the
> > context menu makes no contest for all use cases.
>
> In this scenario I disagree. Accessing the screen* option from the
> desktop leads to additional choices that the user must consider (waste
> time). We have a control center so that the user knows there is one
> place to configure the desktop work environment. Once configure, the
> computer should 'Just Work'. If users need to visit the control center
> often, that is another problem that must be understood and addressed.

I never said this should be done. These are the constraints I inquired for
someone to state.

> Adding additional items to the context menus will also waste time the
> users time if these items are rarely needed & available elsewhere, or
> the item is not exactly related to the context.
>
> Ross is correct in that we offer the panel launchers as a convenience
> (and time saver) to allow users to access _distant_ features quickly.
> Allowing user to adding items to a Context menu is already a feature,
> making it as easy as adding a panel applet is work that can be done. I'm
> not convinced that work should be done, but I'm willing to see a working
> concept.

It doesn't necessarily have to be done, I just see how people can be
frustrated by it at times.

Has anyone thought of using click-activated folding/unfolding submenus
(lengthening the context menu when a submenu is clicked) rather than a
hovering side-menu? This would help the user save time by not having to
reorient direction of hand motions, and therefore the features in submenus
would feel less "buried."

> As for this particular example that you bring up, I added the Change
> Screensaver feature to my desktop menu in a minute and a half--then
> removed it. I don't see any nautilus scripts for changing screensavers
> or screen resolution in any of sites that host nautilus scripts. Yet it
> is simple for moderately experience GNOME users to create the two line
> script. I don't this there is a _want_ for these features in the context
> menu. So I don't think this is a Windows or a Mac issue, and I see no
> evidence that this is a community issue.

It isn't a particular example that I brought up.