Re: [Usability] desktop lacks "Display properties" or " Screensaver - Power" options on right-click context menu

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 09:25 -0400, Jacob Beauregard wrote:

> > > Users would stop complaining if they could change their context menus
> > > from the default configuration.
> > >
> > > Also, you're assuming that the majority of people would never use this
> > > item. PROVE IT. You lack reason not to investigate a user's input if
> > > you're going to declare a decision as final.
> >
> > I have to prove that the majority of users don't have the desire to
> > change the resolution of their screen sufficiently frequently to justify
> > a desktop context menu item explicitly to change resolution?  I've yet
> > to hear a decent reason *for* it.  Why would someone want to change
> > resolution so frequently that they'd need rapid access for it?  And why
> > would the xrandr-applet not suffice in this case?

> > > Submenus bury functionality, making it harder for users to access it. In
> > > addition, submenus that open to the side as opposed to unfolding add
> > > extra work for the user.
> >
> > Yes, that is true.
> >
> > Burying functionality isn't an issue for the Scripts menu, as the user
> > has to put stuff in there.  The choices were a) submenu or b)
> > potentially huge desktop context menu.  I think the right choice was
> > made.
>
> In the context you speak of, it's great the way it is. It's great for the
> default, too, but giving people the ability to directly modify the context
> menu makes no contest for all use cases.

In this scenario I disagree. Accessing the screen* option from the
desktop leads to additional choices that the user must consider (waste
time). We have a control center so that the user knows there is one
place to configure the desktop work environment. Once configure, the
computer should 'Just Work'. If users need to visit the control center
often, that is another problem that must be understood and addressed.

Adding additional items to the context menus will also waste time the
users time if these items are rarely needed & available elsewhere, or
the item is not exactly related to the context.

Ross is correct in that we offer the panel launchers as a convenience
(and time saver) to allow users to access _distant_ features quickly.
Allowing user to adding items to a Context menu is already a feature,
making it as easy as adding a panel applet is work that can be done. I'm
not convinced that work should be done, but I'm willing to see a working
concept.

As for this particular example that you bring up, I added the Change
Screensaver feature to my desktop menu in a minute and a half--then
removed it. I don't see any nautilus scripts for changing screensavers
or screen resolution in any of sites that host nautilus scripts. Yet it
is simple for moderately experience GNOME users to create the two line
script. I don't this there is a _want_ for these features in the context
menu. So I don't think this is a Windows or a Mac issue, and I see no
evidence that this is a community issue.