Re: [Usability] spatial desktop

I always like to remember that in usability, a metaphor is a tool that can, frankly, be taken too far.  We need to be mindful of the fact that metaphors can reduce usability if applied incorrectly.

I think limiting a user's ability to interact with their files in an intuitive manner because we want to stick to the spatial or desktop metaphor would be a mistake.

There is a use case I think for a user having a single document open in two apps simultaneously on a screen.

Kirk

brian muhumuza wrote:

Does that mean I won't be able to have both applications open on the
same file on the same screen?

we would have both tools "open"/loaded onto the document but not using both at the same time. When using the text editor, we have the text editor's tool bar and menu bar, etc on the document, then with a key stroke to switch tools, the editor's tool and menu bars are replaced with the hex editor's tool and menu bars.

I am completing a topaz mock up for which i'll post a link soon.

Happy day