Re: [Usability] spatial desktop

On 9/15/06, brian muhumuza <brian muhumuza gmail com> wrote:

> Why can't I open a file in both a text editor/viewer and a hex
> editor/viewer at the same time?

Going down that road can lead to many places but the road i'll take leads to
discussion about gnome 3 (project topaz).

Think about  a desk with a plain paper, a pen, a pencil and a paint brush.
All these are objects but the pen, the pencil and the paint brush are tools
for various purposes. You want to write pick the pen and write, you want to
draw put the pen down then pick the pencil and draw, you want to paint put
the pencil down then pick the paint brush and paint, you will need pain
ofcourse :-). All this on that single plain paper.

Back to our desktop, the file/document, the text editor and the hex editor
are objects, but text editor and hex editor are tools. So use text editor
then put it down and use hex editor. We now need a way to switch back and
forth between the two tools efficiently.

Does that mean I won't be able to have both applications open on the
same file on the same screen?