Re: [Usability] new tab shortcut is different in gnome-terminal and

--- Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie> wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Nov 2006, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
>
> > On Nov 2, 2006, at 7:43 PM, Carlos Eduardo
> Rodrigues Diógenes wrote:
>
> > > I note that gnome-teminal uses ctrl + T, while
> epiphny uses ctrl + t to
> > > create a new tab. These shortcut keys wouldn't
> have to be equal?
>
> one more nasty little inconsistency

It might be worth mentioning the reason for this in
Terminal's user guide. I'll look into it.

> > Mac OS X avoids this problem by using Ctrl+letter
> for terminal editing
> > commands, and Command+something for normal
> commands. And GNUstep avoids
> > the problem by using Ctrl+letter for terminal
> editing commands, and
> > Alt+letter for normal commands.
>
> I suppose we could pretend the almost ubiquitous
> Super key (aka Windows
> key) was equivalent to the Apple Command key.  Doing
> a straight remapping
> of Ctrl to Super wouldn't quite get us enough to the
> Mac like setup on the
> terminal.  Anyone think we could make a few changes
> here and there so that
> such a configuration would be only a switch or two
> away?

OS X actually lets you reassign any modifier to any
other.
See the Keyboard prefs, press the 'Modifier keys'
button.
It's just a list of drop-downs, one for each key. Each
list shows all the modifier keys.

> Would be sweet if we had control over the hardware
> as well as the software
> (and by we I mean any major Gnome distributor).

We don't even control the software... if I understand
correctly, a lot of keyboard stuff comes to us from X
-- the funny options, the limitation to 4 layouts at
one time, etc etc. *sigh*