Re: [Usability] new tab shortcut is different in gnome-terminal and

On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 06:24 +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:

> I suppose Sun Microsystems are one of the few Gnome distributers who do
> also mostly control their hardware but as far as I know they haven't done
> anything to closely integrate Gnome and leverage that advantage, or maybe
> they have and I just dont know about it (maybe the thin clients and smart
> cards count since they require good session management).

We do things like make sure all the extended keys work on a Sun
keyboard-- but there are even issues there, because many of those keys
correspond to old SunView, OpenWindows and CDE features that are either
hard to implement or just not really applicable to GNOME.  For a while
we did actually experiment with using Super instead of Ctrl for app
shortcuts, but IIRC it was going to be too much effort to maintain, and
the only people who liked it were the Mac users anyway :)

You're right in that we've done a fair bit of work to make ensure SunRay
compatability etc., although that's all gone upstream AFAIK (likewise
the keyboard stuff).  However, in these days of free Solaris downloads,
we're in much the same boat as the rest of the world, really-- we're
expected to (and do) support as wide a range of non-proprietary x86
hardware, graphics cards, commodity USB PC keyboards etc. as we can, and
we don't have any great desire to maintain any more local patches than
necessary anyway.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group