Re: [Usability] Resizability of windows

On Fri, 5 May 2006, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 06:51:14 +1200
> From: Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt myrealbox com>
> To: Gnome usability <usability gnome org>
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Resizability of windows
>
> On May 4, 2006, at 7:42 AM, Elijah Newren wrote:
> > Dialogs was only one example; Metacity also currently turns of the
> > maximization capability for utility windows, toolbars, menus,
> > splashscreens, docks (e.g. panels), and desktops -- not that it
> > necessarily should in all these cases, I'm just telling you the
> > current behavior.  :)
>
> I was going to say that I think utility windows should have a maximize
> button, and that dialogs should not (dialogs should have no title bar
> buttons at all). But then I started reading the wm-spec ...

The techincal window manager aspects of this issues strike me as a
different problem.  It seems to be trying to fit the different window
types into predefined categories which seems like a tough task to solve
for everything.

Irrespective of that I hope we can agree that it would be useful to be
able to have a maximize button on windows with scrollable lists or other
widgets which could expand to fill any available space and give users with
larger screens the options to quickly view more of what is available.

Any thoughts on how we can make it so that useful maximize button can be
shown in relevant cases?

Hope I'm making myself clear.

--
Alan