Re: [Usability] Resizability of windows

On May 4, 2006, at 7:42 AM, Elijah Newren wrote:
Dialogs was only one example; Metacity also currently turns of the
maximization capability for utility windows, toolbars, menus,
splashscreens, docks (e.g. panels), and desktops -- not that it
necessarily should in all these cases, I'm just telling you the
current behavior.  :)

I was going to say that I think utility windows should have a maximize button, and that dialogs should not (dialogs should have no title bar buttons at all). But then I started reading the wm-spec ...

Also, according to the hints provided by theme preferences authors,
Metacity can only tell that it's a dialog.  In a terminal, run
  xprop | grep _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE
and then click on the theme preferences window.  See
http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-1.3.html#id2507144
for a list of possible types.  A utility window is one of them, though
I don't think Metacity really has much special support for utility
windows and toolbars and such (yet) so changing it probably won't
currently have much effect.

It seems that the wm-spec's definition of a utility window is vastly different from the HIG's definition of a utility window. What the wm-spec calls a utility window, the HIG calls a "toolbox", though that's not an ideal name either -- the same window style is used for a variety of palettes, not just toolboxes.

Were/are any interaction designers involved in the wm-spec? I mean, it has a special window type for *splash screens*, of all things, but no type for progress windows. What the hell?

Calum already addressed how the authors of the HIG also disagree with
the HIG (and Metacity) on this issue.  Further, I don't think the
authors of Metacity agree with it either, given the many open bug
reports I mentioned above (especially given some of the reporters of
those bugs).  Anyway, this particular issue is filed as bug 319723,
FWIW.  I just added a comment too about how the EWMH end of the deal
is already done so it just needs gtk+ and metacity support.

/me wonders whether he should make a tracker bug for all these issues

Bugzilla reports aren't good places for designing complicated things, primarily because they're append-only. But that's why we have wikis!
<http://live.gnome.org/Metacity/WindowTypes>

(Caveat: Any similarity between window types in that document, and window types defined in the wm-spec *or* the HIG, is currently purely coincidental. Some creative renaming may be necessary.)

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/