Re: [Usability] Resizability of windows

On 5/2/06, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt myrealbox com> wrote:
<snip>
Having said all that, I don't understand why the Theme Preferences
window is not a dialog and is resizable, but doesn't become maximizable
automatically. That looks like too much flexibility in Metacity.

There's code in metacity that turns off the maximization ability for
any window not of META_WINDOW_NORMAL type (e.g. dialogs).  I don't
know why the code does that; is it in the HIG?

Resizing is only turned off if the application author sets minimum and
maximum size hints and makes them the same (well, okay, we also turn
it off for the nautilus desktop window, docks like the panels,
splashscreens, and fullscreen windows).  That seems to make sense to
me, though this code also predates my time.