Re: [Usability] GNOME Applications and the Shell Environment

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 10:49 +0200, Steve Frécinaux wrote:
> Ross Burton wrote:
>
> > Primary use case for not forking is that it makes it trivial to write a
> > script that launches a program, user does something in it, and then the
> > script can continue when the program has exited.  If Gedit forked when
> > it started I wouldn't be able to use it as $EDITOR in cvs commit for
> > example.
>
> Well, in fact you can't now, because of a bug due to the single instance
> stuff (ie it's not blocking when you already have an instance of gedit).
>
> This might be solved by adding a --wait option or such for these case,
> but it's not done yet.

Never let reality get in the way of a good example, that's what I say.
Yes, the single-instance stuff needs a --wait or something.  In fact
I'll add this to the single-instance SoC project wiki page.

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./