Re: [Usability] GNOME Applications and the Shell Environment

Ross Burton wrote:

> Primary use case for not forking is that it makes it trivial to write a
> script that launches a program, user does something in it, and then the
> script can continue when the program has exited.  If Gedit forked when
> it started I wouldn't be able to use it as $EDITOR in cvs commit for
> example.

Well, in fact you can't now, because of a bug due to the single instance
stuff (ie it's not blocking when you already have an instance of gedit).

This might be solved by adding a --wait option or such for these case,
but it's not done yet.