Re: [Usability] Reasoning behind default panel setup?

On Tue, 2006-10-01 at 23:01 +0200, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> On 1/10/06, David Tenser <djst mozilla gmail com> wrote:
<snip>
> > * It would not include the workspace switcher. While multiple desktops
> > is a very useful feature, it's not something "normal" users ever use.
>
> Strongly agree! Although at least my wife got the idea pretty fast, it
> offers little benefits and possible confusion over just using the
> taskbar (which hides and shows applications as do the virtual
> desktops).

It's very interesting to thing of switching desktops, as hiding
applications! I've never thought of this because I understood the idea.
I guess a cool thing to do that would help users is to maybe show a very
brief 'splash' saying "Welcome to Desktop X" when users switch desktops.
This would be really great because then it would give users a whole new
paradigm. I personally love the multiple desktop idea. I even assigned
shortcut keys F1-F4 to correspond switch to desktop 1-4. I find it
easier and way more sane than Alt+Tab.

So, I say don't remove the desktop switcher, just add the splash screen
feature and let users in a very cool feature, otherwise they'll never
learn see it (and never learn it).

-Gezim