Re: [Usability] Reasoning behind default panel setup?

On 1/11/06, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_ freenet de> wrote:

> I strongly oppose the removal of the workspace switcher.
> When I got into Linux, it was the presence of a workspace switcher
> that made me aware of this feature. It took a while until I actualy
> started to make use of it, but when I did, I fell in love with it and
> the number of workspaces I use regulary grew from 2, 4 to 6.

I specifically didn't want this discussion to turn into a discussions
about the specific details like the workspace switcher. Yet this seems
to be the only thing poeple respond to. :)

> [...] keep email and irc one workspace 1.
> Browser on another one. When I'm working with the Gimp, it's on a workspace
> of it's own. Other workspaces used for reference images in several EOGs
> or perhaps Gthumb. For making music separate workspaces for running jack
> in a terminal and a patchbay, a modula synth, a sequencer [...]

And you seriously think you're not a super-poweruser? Sorry, but you
don't represent the typical Gnome target user by a long shot.

> I don't see workspaces as a pure 'poweruser' feature

Yet. without even intending to do so, you just made it perfectly clear
it is a poweruser feature. :)

Again, this should be a discussion about merging two small, mostly
empty panels into a single one. I'd like to hear opinions primarily
about that, and secondarily about the specific details in _my_
particular suggestion. Thanks!

--
David Tensre