Re: [Usability] merging applets

On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 08:07 +0100, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> On Aug 13, 2006, at 5:29 AM, Michael R. Head wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 2006-08-12 at 12:36 +0200, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> >>
> >> Efficiency is only one aspect of usability, and there might be other
> >> reasons to keep using separate applets (ability to show multiple
> >> categories simultaneously? substantially different ideal window
> >> widths? ease of extension?), but none that I can think of stand out
> >> as being particularly important.
> >
> > Yeah, and GOMS analyses, while great at measuring maximum UI efficiency
> > for expert users
>
> Did you miss the part where I was including the number of mistakes? :-)

It's very hard to account for confusion at having a different interface
style (double click pops up new window vs. interface changes around when
selecting an applet) or time required to read.

> > should be at best a secondary tool for designers, IMHO. The best thing
> > (as always) is to do a study with a selection of target users.
>
> User studies would be important to measure learnability and
> satisfaction. They probably wouldn't give useful information about
> efficiency or memorability, unless they lasted for for weeks or months.

I think learnability and satisfaction are arguable far more important
for most desktop-related tasks. Unless I do a task a lot, I'd rather
have an easier time relearning it than minimizing the time to complete
the task. I might go to the control panel a lot when I first use the
computer or once in a while after I've initially tailored it to suit my
likes, but it's not a routine task that needs efficiency optimization.

> > To put it another way, if browser mode is harder to comprehend for
> > file management, why is it good for control panels?
>
> Because with file management, the number of items in a group changes
> more often, wanting to view more than one set of stuff at once is much
> more common, and dragging items from one group to another is the most
> obvious way to move or copy them.
>
> To put it another way, browse mode turns file moving and copying into
> an expert-only feature. (Experts can learn how "Cut", "Copy", and
> "Paste" have inconsistent meanings between file manager windows and
> document windows.)

I agree that that's the salient difference between file management and
control panel selection, but I think the salient similarity trump that:
specifically, you're working with a flat hierarchy of (potentially) many
different objects. What's more, (assuming an OS/X-like design), changing
the interface around is quite jarring.

In any event, I was mostly just commenting that I dislike GOMS analysis
and think it should be kept as a minor, secondary tool  for designers.

At the same time, I do appreciate the analysis, as it is interesting on
a sort of intrinsic level. I'd appreciate a comparison of the new-style
windows XP control panels vs. the old style windows 2k panels, which is
particularly interesting because both are available and most (techy)
people I know seem to immediately switch to the classic style.

--
Michael R. Head <burner suppressingfire org>
suppressingfire.org