Re: [Usability] merging applets

On Sat, 2006-08-12 at 12:36 +0200, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> Efficiency is only one aspect of usability, and there might be other
> reasons to keep using separate applets (ability to show multiple
> categories simultaneously? substantially different ideal window
> widths?
> ease of extension?), but none that I can think of stand out as being
> particularly important.

Yeah, and GOMS analyses, while great at measuring maximum UI efficiency
for expert users should be at best a secondary tool for designers, IMHO.
The best thing (as always) is to do a study with a selection of target
users. To put it another way, if browser mode is harder to comprehend
for file management, why is it good for control panels?

--
Michael R. Head <burner suppressingfire org>
suppressingfire.org