Re: [Usability] Can't Handle it anymore! (Consistent toolbars?)

Alan Horkan wrote:
I would like the possiblity of putting a toolbar (icons only)
> alongside the menubar, a space which is usually wasted.  That
> functionality would necessitate including a handle on menubars.

No, that function would need only a handle on the toolbars. The menu bar isn't going anywhere, it's just shrinking horizontally.

As for rearranging toolbars in general, modes are to be avoided whenever there is a non-modal or quasimodal solution available, so a "Lock the Toolbars" mode is the wrong solution to this problem. It's a classic example of Microsoft's usability staff being great at finding problems (people rearrange their toolbars by mistake) but poor at choosing solutions.

A better solution would be to get rid of the handles, and make the entire toolbar draggable when the Alt key was held down. That would make rearrangement similarly difficult to do accidentally, but would also make it easier to do when you really did want to do it, because the target area would be the entire toolbar instead of a tiny handle. (As an added bonus, it would reduce the average mouse movement required when rearranging; calculating why is left as an exercise for the reader.)

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/