Re: [Usability] Can't Handle it anymore! (Consistent toolbars?)

> On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 17:41 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > One last question (or reiterating my previous question) should menubars
> > all have handles too?
>
> Well, in addition to the /desktop/gnome/interface/toolbar_detachable
> GConf key, there's /desktop/gnome/interface/menubar_detachable. Of
> course, I'm not actually able to find a single application that honours
> it - it may be a dead preference.
>
> Which is probably just as well, because I've never known anyone to
> actually want to detach a menubar for any reason whatsoever.

Given the current functionality of GTK toolbars their is little reason for
it, and if anything having them on menubars allows users to shoot
themselves in the foot and accidentally rearrange their menus.

I would like the possiblity of putting a toolbar (icons only) alongside
the menubar, a space which is usually wasted.  That functionality would
necessitate including a handle on menubars.  The reason no one you know
seems to want this is because it is not currently possible.

I would much prefer if this whole mess was dealt with by GTK and if I
could automatically enable handles on toolbars instead of adding
complexity to the task of user interface design or relying on developers
being willing to support it (some have made it clear to me they are not
willing to use handle boxes at all).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/