[Usability] Re: Re: Compress Files feature directly from Properties options

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 03:51:36 -0700, Karim Nassar wrote:

> While this is a valuable tip for me personally, it seems terribly
> undiscoverable. If we value consistency, seems like this should look
> identical to a save dialog, since one is saving a file. Gedit's dialog
> with "archive type" instead of "character coding" comes to mind.

I agree that it may be too hidden.  Furthermore, the Save File Dialog
would allow the user to browse for a different directory.

However, there are two thing I like very much about the current dialog:

a) It is possible to specify the archive type via the filename, i.e. in
one compact entry field.  The format field in The Next File Roller should
also allow this, for example by defaulting to "Determine type from
filename".  Let's keep GNOME easily usable by keyboard!

b) The way the current dialog gives feedback to the user.  When the
filename entered matches *.zip, then the icon to the left changes into a
.ZIP icon for example.   This feedback could be integrated into the
Archive Type dropdown box widget, e.g. by displaying "Detect archive type
from filename (currently tar.gz)" if the user entered something that ends
in .tar.gz.

--
Best Regards,  | This signature is currently under construction.
 Sebastian     | Please check back later!