Re: [Usability] Compress Files feature directly from Properties options

Paulo Aboim Pinto wrote:
Hello

I'm trying to compress files in a easy way.
Why the Nautilus does not detect the compress tools like gzip, rar, tar,
zip, etc., and put available in the property options (left button of the
mouse).

With this feature we can compress a file and create one with the same
name... but compressed.
Maybe we can select many files and create a compress  file with all.

This will be a improvement in usability in Gnome.

I think what you're looking for is already available: There's an item called "Create Archive..." that launches File Roller. From within this graphical application, you can create all the archive file formats you listed, and more.

It doesn't automatically create an archive with the same name. But then again, it avoids the situation of too many options: You'd have to select what archive format before it created the file, so any time savings would come at a cost of many more menu items.

I hope that helps!

Cheers...

John