[Usability] Repeated Apply/OK, should it be allowed?

Hello,

I would appreciate any thoughts on the following issue.  When in a
non-instant-apply dialog with OK/Cancel/Apply buttons, should the
OK/Apply buttons be sensitive in the case of there being no user changes
to commit?

One one hand, there is no sense in applying when there are no changes to
apply.  On the other hand, this action causes no data loss, and the user
might legitimately want to dismiss a dialog that contains valid
information by clicking OK, even if there have been no changes.

This is something that I'm encountering while working on the LyX GTK
frontend.

John