Re: [Usability] Interacting with open folders

Am Donnerstag, den 10.02.2005, 18:40 +0000 schrieb John Spray:
> On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 18:09 +0100, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> > > b Use menu in statusbar on the left as drag handle
> >
> > not discoverable.
> I think that this is arguably as discoverable as dragging any file in
> the window: when not expanded the bottom-left menu is just a folder icon
> with the name next to it.  I say this because I attempted to 'discover'
> precisely this feature when it wasn't there: I tried dragging that menu
> and was disappointed when it didn't do anything.

For your records, I just submitted a patch to nautilus-list [1]. Feel
free to play around with it.

> If one accepts the notion that the bottom-left portion containing the
> current folder name is an item representing the current folder, it could
> also serve as a target for a context menu allowing one to delete or
> rename the folder.  However, it could be said that this would represent
> confusing overloading of that bottom-left menu.

I agree with you here. This really seem to be much overloading and taken
that this button serves as menu as well, it may really confuse users.
Although a patch I once wrote against nautilus was rejected, I still
think at least the rename action in the edit menu should rename the open
folder if no item is selected and the properties action in the file menu
should show the displays of the currently open folder if no item is
selected.

[1]
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2005-February/msg00030.html

--