Re: [Usability] Interacting with open folders

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 14:52 +0100, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> Hello there,
>
>    I have always wondered why, in order to act upon a folder F, I must
>    be viewing not F, but its *parent*.
>
>    Example: Suppose I have a nautilus window displaying folder
>    /foo/bar. In order to delete "bar", I have to go to the *parent*
>    folder (foo).
>
>    This seems illogical to me.  And the problem is even more apparent
>    with spatial nautilus: here, a window and a folder are strongly
>    identified, so I should be able to act on a folder when I am viewing
>    its window.
>
>    Proposed solution: add a checkbox, or a button, in each nautilus
>    window. This checkbox allows you to select and deselect THE FOLDER
>    ITSELF. Then you can act upon it the traditional way (with the edit
>    menu, or by right-clicking).
>
>    I am not sure if this also allows to drag an open folder to another
>    place.

A good place to start would be:
http://bitpoetry.com/programs/metacity-parent-menu/

To finish off the feature, you'd need to:
- have it added to the _NETWM properties
- have a document icon always added next to the title
- have drag working from that icon
- make the icons in the drop-down use the proper icons depending on the
theme
and get all the patches accepted :)

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>