Re: [Usability] HIG Clarification for "Close Without Saving" button

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Christian Neumair wrote:

> Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:37:11 +0100
> From: Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
> Cc: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] HIG Clarification for "Close Without Saving"
>     button

> > > Would you be ok with adding GTK_STOCK_DISCARD as well as
> > > GTK_STOCK_DISCARD_CHANGES?
> >
> > I was thinking a terse label would be better for the API .
> >
> > I was also assuming that for now GTK_STOCK_DISCARD would be labelled
> > "Close without Saving" as per the Gnome Human interface guidelines and
> > that any other labels would be left until there was genuine consensus.
>
> This would be totally confusing. If the icon ID and the displayed text
> don't match,

I dont think it is vital that they match exactly. I'm sure the German
version wont match either.  I dont see the need to have a longer label
than GTK_STOCK_DISCARD because the action is DISCARD even if you choose to
be extra clear by putting Changes after it.  As far as I'm concerned we
already have a Discard Document in the form of Delete or Move to Trash.

> that's really bad! So we need a consensus first.

I was hoping by adding a stock item we could centralise the label and
change it later if we ever get concensus and even if we dont it would make
it easier for me or anyone else (Redhat perhaps?) to patch their local
copy to have the label of their choice throughout the whole desktop.

> From what I can see by re-reading the posts, the best I saw was "Discard
> Changes". My proposal would be to have one dialog for a not-yet saved
> document where it would read "Discard Document" and one for already
> saved documents where it would read "Discard Changes". It is simply a
> matter of clarification.

Ugh, ick.

I was just looking at the GIMP (version 2.0 not sure if this is also in
2.2) trying to find how many different Close dialogs it has and it does
have a seperate dialog for documents which have never been saved versus
documents which have already been saved once but I think this really
awful.  I dont believe we need more than one Close dialog (at least not
until we start talking about multiple documents)

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~horkana/gimp-close-unsaved.png
It would have been better to offer the same dialog for both, a Save
button might actually be useful here.

> > P.S.  How about stock items for Full Screen, Status Bar, Page Setup,
> > Rotate Left (clockwise), Rotate Right (anti), Flip Horizontal, Flip
> > Vertical, and the list goes on and on ...  I figure that someday it should
> > nearly be possible to build EOG and GEDIT entirely from stock widgets.
>
> Kristof Vansant <de_lupus pandora be> just wrote a mail do
> gtk-devel-list. I will write the appropriate patch :).

He asked for just fullscreen?  any chance you will implement any other
stock items?  At least by looking at your patch I'll have a better chance
of figuring out what is needed to create patches of my own.

- Alan