Re: [Usability] HIG Clarification for "Close Without Saving" button

Am Dienstag, den 08.02.2005, 18:16 +0000 schrieb Alan Horkan:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Christian Neumair wrote:
>
> > > I still think this is the least worst option.
> > >
> > > I have been known to value consistancy more than most people though, so
> > > there's my bias clear as crystal.  I think on the basis of a cross desktop
> > > consistancy alone I should probably go forward and try and get my
> > > GTK_STOCK_DISCARD added.  At least then those who want consistancy can set
> > > it.
> >
> > Would you be ok with adding GTK_STOCK_DISCARD as well as
> > GTK_STOCK_DISCARD_CHANGES?
>
> I was thinking a terse label would be better for the API .
>
> I was also assuming that for now GTK_STOCK_DISCARD would be labelled
> "Close without Saving" as per the Gnome Human interface guidelines and
> that any other labels would be left until there was genuine consensus.

This would be totally confusing. If the icon ID and the displayed text
don't match, that's really bad! So we need a consensus first. From what
I can see by re-reading the posts, the best I saw was "Discard Changes".
My proposal would be to have one dialog for a not-yet saved document
where it would read "Discard Document" and one for already saved
documents where it would read "Discard Changes". It is simply a matter
of clarification.

> P.S.  How about stock items for Full Screen, Status Bar, Page Setup,
> Rotate Left (clockwise), Rotate Right (anti), Flip Horizontal, Flip
> Vertical, and the list goes on and on ...  I figure that someday it should
> nearly be possible to build EOG and GEDIT entirely from stock widgets.

Kristof Vansant <de_lupus pandora be> just wrote a mail do
gtk-devel-list. I will write the appropriate patch :).

--
Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>