Re: [Usability] Re: Default Save Location and Default Save Filetype in UI config

On 12/23/05, Jan Moren <jan moren lucs lu se> wrote:
> fre 2005-12-23 klockan 15:22 +0100 skrev Vidar Braut Haarr:

> > > You'd have to solve the "translate strings in filesystem or in UI" dilemma
> > > first...
> >
> > Make the applications check env vars like
> > USER_DOCUMENTS[_SPREADSHEETS] etc. and use those as default save
> > locations if they exist.
> >
> > And let the distros figure out the rest.
>
> I log in to my desktop in different languages, depending. Do you suggest
> the directories be renamed when you log in, or does it keep whatever
> name they got at first? Of course, unfortunately, the first login tends
> to always be English, simply because stuff like keyboard settings can
> only reliably be done afterwards. So there probably would need to be a
> way to set it as a user, or by indirectly indicating which truly is the
> "main" language.

That would be the distros problem.

Make apps aware of some env variable (preferably the same one,
freedesktop.org, etc.), and forget about the whole thing. Distros will
work out the rest.

In any case, I don't see many people switching locales every login.

The first login doesn't tend to be english. At least not in Ubuntu.

--
Vidar Braut Haarr
"Programmers don't die, they